Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

I DARE YOU!! Paint Shop Pro VS. Photoshop..... YES YOU CAN!!



Did ya ever go onto a taggin' tutorial site or blog and shout “OMGosh!! I can't do these tuts!! They're for Photoshop!!”

Did ya ever go onto a taggin' tutorial site or blog and shout “OMGosh!! I can't do these tuts!! They're for PaintShop Pro!!”

Well. I was like that once too so believe me when I say that you CAN follow tutorials for other programs other than what the tut calls for! 

Now please understand that, this is only for tutorials written for PSP and PS. 

I have not tried Gimp myself yet, so I can't help you there. And I have never used a Mac so I can't help you there either. My hope is that someone will actually let me know that they tried one of my tuts using gimp, and will do the same as I am. HINT HINT!! Another thing you have to consider is the fact that I am still learning PS myself. The information entered here is just basic everyday taggin' stuff, but by learning just these few basics... It has opened up a whole new world for me, and I have learned a lot about PS and it's features just by tagging.

This will be a work in progress so add yourself to my followers to keep up with any tips that I may have forgotten or new ones that I myself have just learned.

And with that I am also giving credit where credit is due. I learned all of my tagging knowledge to date from the helpful wonderful people over at Rebel-Dezigns. Thanks giZZy, Hella, and Abstract! I love you girls!

There are on-site tutorials to help you tag with Photoshop, not to mention a bunch of other fun stuff to do there!! What are you waiting for?? Sign up!! There is no posting requirements so you can learn at your own pace!!

OH!! and Google helps too!! LOL

So, all in all after you read through this, THERE WILL BE NO MORE EXCUSES!! LOL!

Ok. so here we go, weeeeeeeee!!

*********************************************************

Creating a NEW IMAGE: 

It is the same procedure for both programs!!

PSP : File>New OR CTRL + N OR click on the icon that looks like a blank sheet of paper with a folded corner. In PS the is the icon for a NEW LAYER.

PS: File>New OR CTRL+ N (no icon in PS)

Setting up the new image properties are the same for both programs too~

*********************************************************

Creating a new RASTER LAYER

PSP: Layers>New Raster Layer OR click on the icon that looks like two stacked pieces of paper.

PS: Layer>New Layer OR click on the icon under your Layer Palette that looks like a piece of paper with a folded corner.

In both programs, if you hold the SHIFT key while clicking on the icon, your Layer Properties box will not appear.

*********************************************************

Copy & Pasting

PSP: 
Edit>Copy Edit>Paste OR
Right click on the image's window that you wish to copy and choose Copy then right click on your working canvas window and choose paste. OR
Drag and drop the image onto your working canvas using the layer in the Layers Palette.

PS: 
From image you wish to copy -Select>All >Edit>Copy 
To working canvas Edit>Paste. OR
Drag and drop image onto your working canvas from the layer in the Layers Palette.


There are also special features in PS when placing elements onto a working canvas such as Smart Objects and such, but I don't want to confuse you. That may be a future tut! :)

*********************************************************

Creating a SELECTION AROUND AN ELEMENT

Here is where I believe PS is the superior!

PSP: Selections>All
Selections>Float
Selections>Defloat

PS: Hold your cursor over the layer's THUMBNAIL CTRL+Click on the thumbnail.

With some plugins, you have to have a selection around the image for that plugin to work. In PS Right click on the layer's thumbnail and choose Select Pixels (this is like the Float/Defloat in PSP) for the particular plugin.

Deleting OUTSIDE of a selection is the same for both programs!

Select(ions)>Invert >Delete.

All the selection tools work the same too!

*********************************************************

Using Masks

To be understood for this part. 

This is an almost all BLACK mask


and this is an almost all WHITE mask



Using masks are a little bit different in PS vs. PSP. In PS you have to actually “prepare” the mask you wish to use. In some ways I believe PSP is superior for using masks. 

PSP: Layers>New Mask Layer>From Image (Pop up has a drop down menu to choose an image that is already opened on your workspace.) OR From Disk (Pop up shows all masks shown within your MY PSP>Masks Locations.

If the image is almost all BLACK with White just hit OK.

If the image is almost all WHITE with black make sure that Invert Mask is ticked then hit OK.

PS: 

An almost all Black mask

1.) Place your mask onto your workspace. If you choose to do so duplicate it and then close the original.
2.) In your layers palette double click on the layer so that it is a raster layer instead of a background layer. This is very important. If you do not do this step your mask will not work.
3.) Go to Select>All
4.) Go to Edit>Copy
5.) Go to Select>Deselect
6.) Click on the Quick Mask Mode on your tool palette. It sits just under where you would change your colors.
7.) Go to Edit>Paste. It will turn some of or all of the image red.
8.) Click on the Quick Mask Mode button one more time.
9.) Go to Select>Inverse. 
10.) Hit DELETE on your keyboard.
11.) Go to Select>Deselect
12.) Copy and Paste or drag your mask layer to your working canvas.

An almost all White mask

Follow steps 1-8.

When you get to step 9 DO NOT Inverse your selection, just hit DELETE on your keyboard. Deselect. Copy and past or drag your mask layer to your working canvas.

So really? Not that hard huh? 



To Be Continued …...

Seriously, I will add more as I learn more or it smacks me in the forehead, that something is important for you to know o_0!!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the great photoshop tutorials. Love the one about the masks. I did it and it was so easy with you're awesome and easy to understand tutorial. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. I was never able to master masks in Photoshop and you have totally changed that. Thank you so much for making it so easy.

    ReplyDelete